Sony to Merge With Viacom 18 to Challenge Disney+ Hotstar Lead

- Advertisement -

While the world is fighting a pandemic, various new opportunities are also taking shape in the entertainment and technology industry. Recently, Sony Picture Network and Viacom18, a joint venture with Reliance Industries-owned Network 18 and ViacomCBS, are looking at a merger to take on Disney+ Hotstar and other digital entertainment platforms in India. The two companies are said to be in the final stages of the talks.

Network18 owns a 51% stake in Viacom 18, while Viacom holds the remaining 49%. Sony will own a 74% stake in the merged entity, while Viacom18 will hold the remaining 26% once the deal is processed.

The news of the merger comes a year after Disney and Star India signed a merger for $71.3 Billion, under which Disney+ became part of Hotstar. The company then launched the Disney+ Hotstar as premium.

- Advertisement -

Sony and Viacom 18 have a stronghold in the television industry. While some people see this merger as a competition, it might as well just be a step towards expanding the entertainment horizons. The Hindi entertainment industry is a massive part of Viacom 18’s revenue.

Reportedly, Raj Nayak, former Chief Operating Officer, Viacom 18 tweeted: “Interesting: Sony to own 74 percent after the merger with Viacom 18; ready for a duel with Disney Star.”

Read our other articles here.

Show us some support by following our Instagram handle.

- Advertisement -
Tannavi Sharma
I love Dogs, Pizza, and Chai more than I like the entire mankind itself.

Leave a Reply

Related posts

Advertisment

Latest posts

Leaked AMD Zen 3 CPU Specifications and Benchmarks Outperform Intel’s Core i9-10900K

A new leak regarding AMD's upcoming Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000) CPUs may point to another generational jump in performance, beating out Intel's Core i9-10900K.

Here’s How Google Pixel 5 Supports Wireless Charging Despite Having a Metal Body

Wondering how Google packs in Wireless Charging into Pixel 5 despite having a metal body? Here's how.

Sno Babies Review: A Gut-Wrenching Story Around Teen Substance Abuse and Molestation

Sno Babies is a gut-wrenching story that'll make you ponder over the harms of substance abuse and how it ruins lives in a way you can't help but feel pained.

Next Article Loading