Whatsapp Pay Digital Payment based on UPI has finally been released for beta testing to select Android and iPhones in India . The digital payments market in India expanded considerably after demonetization and release of UPI and the many private players including Paytm , Tez by Google etc. have done much to further its progress. Yet, there remains a large untapped market. Whatsapp plans to launch this product to its pre-existing user base which includes a large chunk of the Indian population which owns smartphones. Whatsapp app revolutionized text messaging and Whatsapp Pay promises to do the same for digital payments. It would expand the reach of digital marketing and reduce cash usage in economy reducing currency printing costs for RBI and reducing money laundering and black money stashing.
Though Whatsapp’s competitors have entrenched themselves in this segment, Whatsapp through its already vast user base can tap into millions of new users which could transform the face of economy in India.
Before getting started I must be made clear that Whatsapp Pay is available free of cost to all handsets supported by Whatsapp once the software goes through the beta stage. You don’t have to pay anything for using Whatsapp pay
Getting Whatsapp Pay
So how can you get it? First, you need to be a beta tester for Whatsapp.
To get the beta version of an app you have to have the public version installed. To check if an app has a beta version available:
- Open the Google Play Store .
- Find the app you want to check and tap it to go to the app detail page.
- Look to see if the app detail page mentions a beta version. Make sure you scroll down as this information could be at the bottom of the page.
- If it’s available, tap Join.
Beta programs tend to involve a limited number of people and hence, sometimes if there is enough demand for it. Hence, the program may be full before you get a chance to enroll in it. So, better hurry!
- Go to ‘Settings’ and click on ‘Payments’
- On the Payments page, add your bank account
- Now, fill in your bank details.
- After you have accepted the Terms & Conditions, you’ll have to verify your phone number via SMS.
- You’ll need to feed in your phone number linked to your bank account.
- After this, WhatsApp will show banks linked with UPI. If you are a UPI user, then you’ll be required to select that bank account
- In case you do not use UPI, you will be required to set it up.
- After setting up the UPI, you will need to enter the last six digits of your debit card number and the expiry date to create a Virtual Payee Address (VPA).
Using Whatsapp Pay
For Android users,
- Tap on the attach button
- Look for the option ‘Payment’
For iOS users,
- Now,tap on the plus sign and look for the Payment option.
- The payment option will be available on individual chat screens. Sending money to specific users on a group chat forum is also possible.
- After tapping on the payments option, you have to enter the amount, put in your UPI PIN and press accept to send the payment amount to the receiver.
- One of the problems with Whatsapp Pay is that, the receiver is also needs to have a UPI account for the payment to be successful.Thus, If the receiver does not have the account, it will not work.