64 cores. 128 threads. $4000. AMD’s top-of-the-line Ryzen 9 3990X CPU is all about impressive numbers. The Ryzen 9 3990X belongs to AMD’s third-gen Threadripper lineup which comprises the 24-core Threadripper 3960X and the 32-core Threadripper 3970X apart from the latest 64-core high-performance processor.
Even though the Threadripper CPU is a desktop processor that anyone can buy, its power (and certainly its price) isn’t for everyone. The Threadripper 3990X is really targeted towards creators who really need that kind of horsepower in their performance machines.
AMD Ryzen 9 3990X Specs:
- The Threadripper 3990X is the world’s first HEDT processor to come with 64 cores. It is designed for professionals working in 3D animation, raytraced VFX and 8K videos.
- Ryzen 9 3990X offers a 51% performance boost when compared to Threadripper 3970X which in itself is a very powerful and capable CPU aimed at creators.
- A claimed Cinebench score of 25,399. That’s up from ~17000 on the 3970X.
- Base frequency: 2.9GHz and Boost frequency: 4.3GHz.
- It also has 288MB of total cache.
- To drive this kind of power the CPU comes with a TDP of 280W.
AMD says the processor will be available from February 7, 2020. It will cost $3990 (~Rs 3 lakhs) which isn’t surprising given its power and capability. We’ll keep you updated on AMD’s latest offerings throughout the year, including the upcoming Navi cards and Ryzen 4000 series.
- AMD Big Navi Radeon GPU Beats NVIDIA’s RTX 2080 Ti in Leaked Benchmark
- AMD Unveils New Ryzen 4000 Processors; To Be Featured In High-Performance Laptops
- NVIDIA Ampere GPUs 50% Faster Than Turing; Built on 7nm Process